Sunday, December 21, 2014

The Overture

This post is written as a response to Michael Mulyadi's post about music schools that are in danger of losing their students. After having lived in Jakarta for a year as a music teacher and répétiteur, I noticed a trend that may answer a few lingering questions at hand and how it would lead to a decline of music education in Indonesia if not remedied quickly.

The quality of teaching remains an important issue that will always be continually addressed and evaluated. What we need the most are qualified teachers who have the skills, knowledge and passion to educate young musicians and prepare them not just musically, but also mentally and physically.

The last qualifier "physically" may sound strange considering not many people view music performance as a type of sport. Well performance-related injuries do happen and after observing a few of my colleagues' students, I realized how they perform with unhealthy posture, awkward hand positions and placement, and incorrect body alignment.

I do not claim to be a physical therapist nor do I pretend to be one, but I learned enough about performing with good posture after years of attending Alexander technique and Feldenkrais method classes, and of getting badgered by fellow pianists who revere the infallible Taubman technique like the words of the highest deity. I was initially skeptical at first of these technique schools, but they actually work. I tend to meld all these approaches to one single package that works for me and my playing.

If I were to have a piano studio of my own, I would probably have them take a pilates class as an additional requirement to passing the exit exam.

Now let us go back to the issue of teaching. I cannot stress this enough but to run a successful music school, have well-developed and thought-out syllabi ready. I witnessed at least three different and competing music schools who do not have their classes planned correctly, and it is the students themselves who bear the brunt of the school's lack of foresight. This piece of advice may not apply to schools who already follow a standardized international curriculum such as ABRSM, ANZCA, etc. But there is a surprisingly good number of schools who chose to deviate and create their own curriculum as to establish a sense of independence.

Competition and rivalry also play a role in determining whether the music school survives or slowly meets its painful avoidable demise. I know a few students who switched schools because they were not satisfied with the education their former school provided, and who even claimed that the school was more interested in generating profit rather than following their genuinely worded mission statement.

We can also break down this problem even further. Not only the students felt deceived, but the teachers as well. I personally know a few teachers who expressed discontent towards the school administration for not paying the teachers the wages they deserve, for financial mismanagement, and for not maintaining a conducive and safe working environment. And the saddest part is that the teachers who left are extremely qualified teachers. Sometimes I wish I could sound half as smart as they can, and it's truly the school's loss for letting these talented individuals go.

I could go on and on about this, but tomorrow is my one year anniversary with my beloved so I should probably turn my attention to that instead. But as a closing note, I wholeheartedly agree with Michael that there should be self-reflection on the part of school. And adding to that, students should also provide feedback for the teachers and not just for the school. Back when I was a college undergraduate, we were given teacher evaluation forms to fill in, which were then passed on to the respective teachers. It's effective. Trust me. Unless the teacher turns a blind eye, which unfortunately does occasionally happen.

Good afternoon and take care,
Hazim Suhadi

No comments:

Post a Comment